One of the emblematic places of the city of Varna – the Sea Casino is facing an overhaul and reconstruction. The construction and restoration works are most likely to be completed by the end of 2016.

Their purpose is:

- To keep the capacity and outline of the building;

- To restore elements of the building, set in the original designs by the architect Panayot Minkov from 1958;

- To keep the main functions of the Sea Casino as one of the most emblematic places in the city of Varna;

- To preserve and increase the vegetation around the building;

- To restore the original interior known from the period of the first half of the 20th century.



By the beginning of 2015, the building was in a shabby and dangerous operating condition. Since the reconstruction carried out in 1959 to present days the main structure of the building has been changed many times, for which lack complete design documentation. Over the past 25 years, the maintenance has been completely abandoned by previous owners and its condition requires a comprehensive repair and reconstruction.

Since 2015 the Seaside Casino has new owners. Partial urgently needed repair works have been undertaken on the façade. The building now is even hosting the international sculptures festival Contempo with various visiting artists who are sculpting their works onsite and present commemorative exhibitions. 



The intentions of Varna governing bodies at the age to establish the city as the French Riviera on the Balkans led to the construction of the Seaside Casino, which began in 1926 on design of architect Jelyazko Bogdanov just 100 meters from the beach. 

Following a fire in 1958 the building is reconstructed and expanded upon design of architect Minkov. During the whole period of operation in the Seaside Casino exept gambling (cards, roulette, etc.) also were conducted mass cultural events such as exhibitions, balls, awards and weddings. The restaurant was able to collect more than 1,000 visitors, for which it was a matter of honor to be guests of the Sea Casino.

Over the years, the building underwent some renovations, but overall retains its appearance from 1958 until today.


Subscribe to our newsletter

/ /